This species seems to be everyone's favorite violet. The large, flat-faced flowers with prominent orange stamens and the very finely cut leaves distinguish birdfoot violet. Coast violet and early blue violet have cut leaves, but their flowers look fairly different.
- Family: violet (Violaceae)
- Habitat: dry, sandy fields; sunny rocky areas
- Height: 4-10 inches
- Flower size: 1 to 1-1/2 inches
- Flower color: purple; upper petals sometimes much darker than the lower petals
- Flowering time: April to June
- Origin: native